The Old Groton Inn began as a single structure built in 1678, which was expanded to include two other structures by the late 18th century. Prior to the fire of 2011, the Inn was the longest continuously running Inn in the United States. The Inn served as a revolutionary tavern, where American revolutionaries gathered to strategize. From 1779 until 1847, the Inn was the meeting place for St. Paul's Masonic Lodge, of which Paul Revere was the Grand Master, and attended regular meetings.
The Inn had largely fallen into neglect and disrepair until it was purchased in 1967 by Pat & Bob Frazer, long-time residents of the town. The Frazers energetically revitalized the Inn, replacing plumbing, electrical and heating systems, painting, carpeting, and refinishing furniture. With the assistance of the Town Historian, Mrs. Virgina May, the Frazers registered the Inn with the National Register for Historic Places, and the Inn was accepted on August 3, 1976.
The Inn continued to operate until August 2011, when the Inn was severely damaged by fire. Attempts were made to save the front of the building. These efforts were rewarded with an approval in 2016. In May of 2017, ground was broken and the steel structure of the new Inn was raised.